This recipe for Ham and beans is the perfect method to make use of leftover Ham! The creamy white beans are cooked together with ham cubes, sliced vegetables, and spices to create an easy and delicious dish that is bound to be a hit with your guests.
In the aftermath of Christmas, After the holidays, I always utilize any extra Ham in recipes like the ham salad and scalloped potatoes made with Ham or this delicious ham dish with beans.
Ham and beans are the ultimate comfort food, and with reasons that are well-founded. It’s affordable, delicious, and full of delicious flavors. My recipe includes dried beans, leftover Ham, and dried beans to create an easy meal that’s an instant crowd-pleaser. Include a cornbread side dish, and dinner is ready!
The Best Ham and Bean Soup
The ham and beans soup is among my top recipes available on the website and also one that my father has made for our family for many years. He cooks a huge batch (doubles this recipe), and since it grows better with time as the months pass by and we’ll have it as a dinner option one evening as well as for lunch some days afterward.
How come certain soups and stews are better on the second day? The reason, I believe, is due to the fact that the flavors of the meat, beans, and vegetables take time to mix. The starch in the beans is absorbed more deeply into the broth, which makes the soup more thick and stew-like.
Easy Ham and Bean Soup
This easy and quick soup is made with Ham and beans filled with black beans, white beans, smoking ham, onions, and carrots. It’s prepared in less than 30 minutes and is a delicious method to utilize the leftover Ham from Christmas.
- One tablespoon olive oil one tablespoon olive
- Three carrots and small dice
- One small onion. Small cubes
- Two cloves of garlic minced
- One teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 4 (14.5 14.5 ounces) white beans in 4 cans
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups diced smoked Ham
- 1 smoked ham hock
- Two dried leaves of bay
- Salt Kosher, according to your taste
- To taste black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley minced
- Pour olive oil into the 5-quart soup pan and place it over high heat to medium.
- Once the oil is heated, Add the carrots and onions. Then cook for 5 minutes or until the onions begin to soften and then turn translucent.
- Incorporate the garlic as well as the thyme leaves, and stir to mix.
- In the pot, add all of the beans along with the juice from their cans, chicken stock, chopped Ham, hammock, as well as bay leaves. Mix well to blend.
- Soak the soup in water for 10 to 15 minutes or until somewhat more thick.
- Then taste and add the amount you prefer of kosher salt as well as black pepper.
- Add parsley to the mix. Serve hot.
TIPS FOR THE PERFECT DISH
- There is a way to make use of leftover ham bone or Ham hoof. If you’re using leftover bone from Ham, save the diced Ham for the final dish. If you opt for Ham hocks and you want to cut the meat from the bone and add it to the dish.
- The dish is also cooked in a slow cooker. Add the ham bone and the soaked beans, as well as salt, herbs, and water, into the slow cooker. The slow cooker should be on low for eight hours. Then, stir in the Ham. Cook for an additional 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Then top it with the parsley, and serve.
- Cut the carrots and celery into bigger pieces, so they’ll stand up to the long simmering process.
- If the beans are packaged with an ingredient packet for seasoning, You can sprinkle it on toward the end of cooking time, if you prefer.
- Any type of dry white bean is a good choice, and you are at ease in selecting your preferred one.
How to Store Ham and Bean Soup
Keep the leftover soup of Ham and beans in a shallow airtight container that can be kept in the fridge for a maximum of five days. Cook in the microwave or over the stove.
Can You Freeze Ham and Bean Soup?
This soup is made of beans, and Ham can be frozen very well! Pour it into zip-top containers then, squeeze out the extra air, then secure the bags. Cover the bags with aluminum foil, then freeze them flat for a minimum of three months.